Thursday, January 31, 2008

But I'm feeling MUCH better now

Date night was fun! Ryan pulled into the driveway right in time to pack up the kids for grandma's house and head out to the show. The drive downtown wasn't the greatest. I was getting over being sick and hadn't eaten much that day. I will admit, I was hoping for a nice dinner beforehand, but knew we were cutting it too close. Weird phenomenon - my body became queasy at the mention of fast food. It didn't even want a healthy sub shop.

So there we were, driving to our first Broadway show since our fateful, love-sparking show we saw nearly four years ago, and I am stuck in a bitter mood.

I literally went from a mature thirty-one year old, married with four kids woman, into a jilted, spoiled, Disney princess brat in two seconds flat. I huffed and whimpered as I drove. I hate driving on date night. It's the boy's job. Of course Ryan had offered to drive, but we were pressed for time and he drives like a little old lady. I wasn't handing over the keys to that slow poke.

He tried asking me what was wrong. I kept saying a woman standard, "Nothing, I am just starving." Ryan came up with some great food suggestions, but it wasn't about food anymore. I couldn't have my dinner out, and I was refusing to accept less. However, I did stick to woman etiquette. I lied about what was bugging me. I told him thanks but my stomach wouldn't let me eat. Half true I suppose. He didn't need to know I was in the middle of a stubborn fit. If he was any sort of REAL man, he would KNOW how to fix me without having to ASK me! Duh.

Then he kept making it worse, "We will find you something. You will be fine." I didn't WANT to be fine. Men, sheesh.

At one point I literally said, "I don't know where your new positive take on life is coming from, but it is starting to seriously piss me off!" Wow, yeah, I am glad I was driving and didn't have to see his face. He was probably holding back a chuckle. He always laughs at me when I get pouty. I am sure you can guess how much laughing helps my mood.

Once we got downtown everything took a turn for the better. We found a spot on the street right in front of the theater. We saved eight bucks in parking! Ryan bought me a three dollar cookie and a five dollar vodka/cranberry drink. It lightened me up quite a bit. Thank goodness he has enough man skills to ignore me at times. Date night could have gone horribly wrong.

The show was amazing and I had a great time.

Well, except for the scene where Christine sings to her dead father. Yeah, no one warned me. I became a mess, but I snapped out of it by the next scene. I called my sister and yelled at her for not giving me the heads up since she is a Phantom fanatic.

"You didn't KNOW!"
"NO!!!"
"You used to listen to the CDs with me all the TIME! How could you not know?!?"

"I dunno"
"You really don't pay attention do you?"
"um, yeah, not so much."

Oh well, it was still amazing. Next show on my list: Les Miserables. I have seen it, but Ryan hasn't. It is my second favorite. Maybe next time I can be a grown up for the whole night!

-Sara

4 comments:

The Deviant Mom said...

Don't you just love(cue the sarcasm) how men find our moodiness amusing. Craig thinks its funny when I get mad and worked up over anything. I also find it funny just how clueless men(mainly husbands) can be at times. I have theory that I stongly live by and it goes like this... "If Men listened to women all fo the time instead of none of the time, The world would still spin as it always does except nobody would get sick nobody would feel dizzy and nobody would fall off.

chitchatmoms@yahoo.com said...

LMAO!!! That's a great theory.
Sara

Shawn said...

Glad that you were able to have a good time despite your lingering bad mood at the beginning of the night!

chitchatmoms@yahoo.com said...

Thanks Shawn. It really was fun.
Sara