Thursday, February 7, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow

I love snow. I think it is beautiful. Howevah ~ enough is enough. Since the middle of December we have had a yard full of the white stuff.

First of all, I am annoyed I still have Christmas lights still on the house. Yes, we are THOSE neighbors. I will admit, there were two windows of opportunity to get them down when the roof had finally become dry, but both were work days and Ryan always said it could wait until the weekend. The weekend always brought more snow.

At least I got the pop-up Santa out of our yard as well as the lights off the little tree and the rope lights down from our entryway. Those were the only power cords I could free from the layers of ice during our one day of 50 degree weather. The blow-up snow man and penguin are still out there, but thankfully the snow has them buried. The two spiral Christmas trees are still visible, but I tried. Their cords won't budge.

Sigh, I will have to wait yet another week. If it hits March I will really have to hang my head. I have noticed that the other people in the neighborhood don't have theirs down either, but we were the only ones on our street that decorated this year. We look like the sore thumb.

Secondly, why does it snow EVERYTIME Ryan goes out of town? Shoveling really sucks arse. Thank the LORD for Bill. I love Bill. He is our retired neighbor. He was forced into early retirement due to a back injury and is chronically bored to tears. His favorite winter hobby? Attaching his snow blower with extra large blade attachment to the front of his riding lawn mower and obsessively plowing our street. He claims he only does it so HE can get out of the neighborhood, but he can't fool me. He does my driveway as well as five other neighbors. He's a sweetheart.

OH and ONE more snow story. My family cracks me up.

My brother answers a phone call from my mother:
"Hello"
"I am an AMAZING driver, do you know why? I almost got into a car accident."

How he kept a straight face is beyond me.

"What happened?"
"I was on the interstate" - she drives a very expensive, fast, non-snow friendly car, and she drives like the little old lady from Pasadena (for those who don't listen to 60s music, that is really, really fast)

"And the guy in front of me slammed on his brakes. I hit my brakes and they DIDN'T WORK!" - someone should really tell her that ice can do that when you are going 60 mph.

"There was a wall to the left of me and a car to the right of me. I started sliding all over the place and even sideways down the road, but I didn't hit anyone!!! Aren't you glad I am a GREAT driver?"

My brother politely ended the conversation without taking any shots at her. What a great son he is. He turned to me (the only part of the phone call I heard was his random yas and uh huhs) and said -

"Mom says becareful. The roads are really bad."

Thats my family. They keep me laughing endlessly.

-Sara

7 comments:

Shawn said...

I can't even imagine! It was in the 70's last week here, and we have the nerve to complain about 50's and chilly wind here in Georgia! I'm sorry that you can't get your holiday decorations down. I say put out a little sign saying "Everyday is Christmas in our home", and see what the neighbors say then!

Shawn said...

Oh, yeah, about your mom's driving story: that is the kind of thing that I would do (or say)! DH says I drive like I'm the only person on the road, so I can see me telling someone that exact same story LOL!

The Deviant Mom said...

Your moms driving story has me in tears over here. I almost peed my pants from laughing so hard. My husband thought I was going mad until I had him read the story. He especially loved when you mentioned the Song Little Old Lady From Pasedena. That is my moms theme song. My mom can make a drive in her mini van feel like a nascar race. When ever we watch her leave from our aparment parking lot my husband will start singing Go granny go granny go granny go. to add to the humor my mom is only 49!

chitchatmoms@yahoo.com said...

Shawn - When we hit 35 we celebrate around here! It has been so cold this winter. The day it hit the 50s I was outside in a t-shirt!

I should try the sign in the yard, it would be hilarious :) As far as neighbors talking, at least we never hear any of it. We are the house on the block with a pool in the back yard. Everyone stays nice because we let them swim, LOL.
Sara

chitchatmoms@yahoo.com said...

LOL, Tell your husband that we used to sing that song to our step-dad "The little old man from Pennsylvania - go Jerry, go Jerry, go Jerry, GO!"

He was married to my mother for five years. In that time he had about three speeding tickets and two accidents, one involving an incident where he swerved to miss a deer in the road. He was able to avoid the deer, but unfortunately he blasted into the other three . . .
-Sara

Shawn said...

So, I have to tell you this. Last night, we were out a little later than usual, and it was dark. We passed a house with not only Icicle Lights hanging around the porch, the lights were ON, and there was a wreath hanging on the door! DH pointed it out (I was driving),and we both started laughing b/c we couldn't believe it! I'd told him about your blog post about your decorations and he said, "they don't have the excuse about snow". So even though he doesn't listen, he participates with the chitchatmoms! Don't feel bad about your lights anymore b/c these people are still celebrating Christmas in February in 60 degree weather.

chitchatmoms@yahoo.com said...

ROFLMAO!!! We haven't turned ours on since New Years Eve :) I feel MUCH better now! Tell your wonderful hubby I appreciate his support . . . and the forcast is upper 30s for this weekend so knock on wood . . .
Sara