Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spoiled by Technology

I was leaving job training and clicked my unlock button for the car on my key ring. Nothing happened.

I clicked it again. The lock didn't pop up. Weird, maybe the battery in the remote is dead.

Now I start to panic . . . my car won't unlock . . . HOW AM I GOING TO GET IN MY CAR!!!!

After about three seconds I felt like a complete moron. I have a KEY on the key ring! For Pete's sake. As I jammed the key into my car, I realized it was a motion I haven't done in over eight years! No wonder I nearly freaked out. Thank the Lord above I didn't rush to someone for help. That could have been completely mortifying.

I jumped in my car and went to start it.

Click, click, click. Great, battery was dead. The locks should have been the first clue.

But . . . TA DA!!!! . . . technology to the rescue! Ryan bought me a portable car jumping kit. Okay, okay, maybe most people don't need one of these contraptions, but I do. Maybe I have a wee slight problem turning my lights off. Sure, they turn themselves off after a few minutes, but it adds up if you have kids in and out of the car looking for the crap they left in it. Then there is the teeny tiny problem with having a door cracked and the inside lights stay lit. Hey, if you had two babies in your arms in zero degree weather and you have to get behind the door and kick it on the far edge just right to get it to shut (most of the time it's impressive, you should see me do it on a thin layer of ice), you might have this problem too!

But back to my amazing contraption - I never knew these jumper thingers exsisted, but I am SO glad I had it. Totally worked. About the size of a kid's lunch box it fits under my seat (ooo, speaking of lunch boxes, I had the most ultra-knarly smurf one in second grade). It being extremely light, I just whipped it out, hooked it up, turned it on, and 60 seconds later my engine roared! Ahhh, I love being independent.

What have we learned?
1. My next van needs automatic doors
2. I love technology, even if it spoils me rotten

-Sara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you still had your hair dyed, it could have potentially been a true blonde moment. Way to go!

Thanks for the morning laugh on this very COLD day.

Shawn said...

:-)